Friday, February 10, 2012

For The Love of Coffee

It's a known fact around here that I love good coffee. Which is why I was thrilled when we were given the Cuisinart Grind and Brew for our wedding. It makes an excellent, fresh pot of coffee by grinding the beans just before brewing. The only downside is the self-grinding feature is a pain in the neck to clean! So much in fact that it became routine for me to weigh how much I really wanted a cup of coffee because I didn't want to deal with the mess. And after having the pot for nearly four years, it was getting reeeally old!

My husband, being the thoughtful and practical man that he is, surprised me this year with a Keurig for Christmas! Prior to owning one myself, I completely missed what was so awesome about the machine. And being the frugal gal that I am, I made an assumption that the individual K-cups made it too expensive to give a second thought. But it turns out, for people like me, it's not actually that much more. On a typical day, I only drink a single cup, so I ended up wasting the rest of the pot anyway. Before purchasing it, my husband did a little research and discovered with the Keurig each cup comes to about $.60 (since you can buy large cases of the K-Cups at Costco), making it just pennies more than a traditional coffee pot!

After having the machine for nearly two months, I am a complete Keurig convert! I can't stop singing its praises because not only does it make great coffee, but clean-up is so easy. While I don't generally mind a little more work for a little savings, in this case, the convenience makes it totally worth the slight cost difference! I love that at any given time, I am exactly one minute away from a great cup of coffee (even if I happen to have a sleeping baby in my arms) and there is no waste! Plus, it has definitely upped the frequency of my hubby bringing me coffee in bed-always a bonus!

It's also good to know that it makes more than coffee, but K-cups come in tea and hot cocoa as well!

Bottom line: The Keurig was the best gift I never knew I wanted!


Anyone else on the Keurig bandwagon? What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Brinn said...

I love my Keurig! I'm like you, I only drink one or two cups in the morning so it's the perfect way to go. Have you seen the thing they make that you can put your own coffee into. Takes a little extra time/clean up but it ends up being a little cheaper in the long run and I especially like that I can get coffee from my favorite places that don't have k-cups(Peets!)

Missy said...

i have a keurig too. i LOVE it. i agree, it's so awesome and convenient. i never knew about them until i started working at my office - they have a giant fancy one!

i agree with brinn...we have one of those thingies that you can put your own coffee into too - or loose tea in my case. here is the link to the one we have, it's the bomb:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18199599

Unknown said...

Yes, I actually got one of those with my machine! I haven't used it yet, but I'm stoked to know I can use it for loose leaf tea as well as my own coffee! Thank you,ladies:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...