Monday, February 13, 2012

Shiitake Hot & Sour Soup

I happened to catch an episodes of Dr. Oz while my girl was napping last week. While I'm not typically into daytime TV, I'm glad I stumbled upon this episode because it gave me some great recipe inspiration, including this one I whipped up for dinner last Saturday. This soup contains several immunity boosting ingredients like mushrooms, onion, ginger and garlic, making it a perfect cold and flu fighter.  Plus it's got a definite kick, making it a winner with my husband!

I would only make the following changes next time to make it even better: 1) reduce the amount of lemon juice by about 2 Tbsp, and 2) add some Chicken Bullion to enhance the depth and flavor.In my personal opinion, it would take this recipe from great to superb!

Shiitake Hot and Sour Soup
Recipe  from Dr. Oz

1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 jalapeño, minced with seeds
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 bunches scallions, green and white parts sliced, 2 tbsp greens reserved
1 lb shiitakes, stems removed and tops 1/4-in sliced
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp naturally brewed soy sauce
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1 block silken tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups shredded carrots
Freshly cracked black pepper

Directions
In a stockpot over medium-high heat, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add jalapeño, ginger, garlic and scallions. Sauté until aromatic, about a minute. Add shiitakes and sauté 2 minutes, until softened.

Add stock and soy sauce, bring to a simmer and reduce by 20%, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, tofu and carrots and cook gently for 2 more minutes to heat tofu through. Season with black pepper.

Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with reserved scallion greens and lemon zest.





1 comment:

Missy said...

i just got so hungry reading that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...