Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Comforting Carrot Soup

A Sunday evening is the perfect time to try a new carrot soup recipe. I find it especially perfect when someone else (that someone being my mom) has already done the leg work and all I need to do is warm it up, place a couple of paninis on the grill and call it a night. But don't be fooled, as I would have gladly put in the time over my stove to cook up this warm, savory and absolutely perfect soup.

I don't use the word perfect lightly, either. Oh no, it literally pleased my taste buds to no end with it's comforting flavors and gentle creaminess. Like I said, we paired it with rosemary ham and sharp cheddar paninis, but it would easily be a classy accompaniment to a beef tenderloin. And yes, I am already planning its next appearance in our kitchen. That is, after I finish off the rest for lunch today!

Psst-the fact that this soup is so healthy is such a sweet bonus!

Carrot Soup
recipe from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Recharged

1/4 cup melted coconut butter
1 cup onion, peeled and chopped
6 cups sweet carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, passed through a press
7 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 Tbsp sea salt
juice of 2 fresh oranges
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated

Place coconut butter in dutch oven. Heat over medium-high flame. Add onion and saute until soft. Add carrots, sweet potato and garlic. Cook until vegetables soften. Remove from heat and add chicken stock, pepper and salt. Return to heat over medium-high flame. When boiling, reduce heat and add orange juice and freshly grated ginger. Simmer for one hour. Using and immersion blender, puree soup. Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.

I also added a bit of chopped chives and a touch of freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...