Saturday, January 24, 2009

Some of the Best Things in Life are Baked!

As a kid, didn't you just love the smell of fresh baked cookies during the holidays or just a good ole' Tuesday afternoon? Well, I have always had a huge sweet tooth. Any baked goods, especially cookies, can win me over every time! About a year and a half ago, one of my old roommates gave me a recipe that had stood the test of time. I have made these on countless occasions and I can assure you they have always been a huge hit. They happen to be Chris' favorite cookies. Tonight as I whipped up a batch I was thinking that it is time to share this recipe with you! The best part about them is they are a reasonably healthy cookie~if you can believe that! I like to keep that my little secret as people gush over how delicious they are! So, drum roll please:

Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies
Cooking spray
3/4 cup natural unsalted peanut butter
1/2 cup dark honey
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt (I use plain nonfat yogurt and add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla)
1 egg white
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar-free jam or fruit spread

Preheat oven at 300 degrees, lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

In a bowl, combine the peanut butter, honey, yogurt, egg white, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add the flours, oats, baking soda, and salt and stir well until combined.

With a cookie scoop, form balls with the dough and space them about two inches apart on cookie sheet. Make a little well in the center of each cookie with your thumb. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of jam into each thumbprint.

Bake about 12 minutes or until the cookies are slightly browned on the edges. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Enjoy the goodness of the great American PB&J!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like more than a half-teaspoon...somebody went a little crazy with the jam!

Just kidding; they look great!

Side note...I invented a Mexican steak dish that I cooked for Laura's family last night, and apparently it went over very well! I also made a pineapple upside-down cake, which was totally awesome. We will have to have a couples dinner party where the couples make all the food!

Unknown said...

Hey now, I actually did use 1/2 teaspoon of jam. Can I help it if the stickiness causes the teaspoon to overflow?

I think that sounds like a great idea! Let's set a date!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...