Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cloth Diapers: A Review


 These past few weeks I've had several friends ask me how cloth diapering is going. And it seems that just about everyone who noticed them on our little one is curious. So as promised, I wanted to give you curious minds my thoughts on cloth diapering so far.

In a nutshell, we LOVE them! Seriously would not change a thing about the diapers we went with or the decision to go cloth (more on that here)! They are impressively easy to use and have even made believers out of the biggest doubters we know.

My only complaint is that we had to wait until she was two weeks old to start using them because they were too big on her. Those two weeks quickly made us aware of how many diapers she was going through a day and how that expense can really add up. Thankfully for us, the hospital sent us home with enough to get us through those first two weeks!

As far as maintenance goes, I wash a load every 2-3 days. The addition of laundry is honestly so minimal that I hardly notice the few additional loads. Which brings me to how happy I am that we have thirty. It gives me plenty to get through 2-3 days and still have a few extras in her room and diaper bags just in case! That also means that each one is getting slightly less wear, extending their lasting power for additional kiddos:)

There are a few accessories that I would highly recommend if going this route. While of course not necessary, we have been completely grateful for our diaper sprayer! It makes cleaning out poopy diapers a breeze (even for the faint of heart:). We also purchased two wet bags from Planet Wise, a large one for the bathroom and a medium one for the diaper bag. They are brilliant at keeping odors at bay and fit an impressive number of diapers. These simply get tossed in with the diapers and washed every couple of days.

While we use cloth diapers exclusively day-to-day, we did opt to use disposables while we traveled for five days. I'm sure we could have found a way to wash them, but we decided it just wasn't worth the hassle while on vacation! With that said, I know several people who make it work while traveling, so it can definitely be done.

So there you have it, my brief version on how much we love using cloth on our little one! If you ever have questions please don't hesitate to email me!
 

1 comment:

Missy said...

great review! i was wondering how it was going. :-D good ot know for the future :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...