Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sustenance



As I mentioned in this post, one of my to-dos last weekend was planning out and prepping the snacks we will bring on our road trip. And I've got to say, I'm pretty excited with the spread I decided on! Silly I know, but in a quest to avoid stopping for nasty fast food, I wanted us to have plenty of healthy/tasty options while we're on the road. And I think I've succeeded!

Here's the rundown of what will be in our cooler:

Orzo salad w/ shredded chicken: I will be making my own version of a Mediterranean inspired pasta salad for lunch.

Lemon protein bars: After making these last week, I knew they would be a great road companion! Perfect little "dessert" without the sugar overload!

Fruit/veggies: We'll have plenty of options, like: berries, grapes, apple slices, carrots, bell peppers and celery to snack on.

Individual peanut butter: I usually wouldn't spend the moolah on these sort of convenience foods, but the chocolate and maple flavors were a steal at 2/$1! They will be great to spread on celery sticks and apple slices. Plus, I grabbed a few extra to keep in my purse for those pesky hunger pangs that sometimes strike unexpectedly.

Hand picked trail mix: A blend of raw cashews and almonds, pumpkin seeds, banana chips, dried cranberries and shaved unsweetened coconut. This is really for my husband, who can't get enough of the stuff!

Jerky: A must for long trips!

Larabar minis: I was planning on just packing two Larabars, but then I found a box of minis in some of my favorite flavors! How could I resist?

Water: And lots of it!!!

That should be enough to get us through the roughly 10 hour drive (maybe 11 with all the pee breaks!). And of course, we'll be at our first destination by Saturday evening, so dinner will be in Portland!

1 comment:

Missy said...

i love larabars! and the blueberry cliff bars. YUM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...