Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Going Green


Ever since I started this blog (almost 2 years ago!) I've wanted to post about green smoothies. For some reason or another this post just never came to be. How I have never shared my love for something like this is beyond me, but this week I decided that needed to change! Allow me to pass on the stealthy trick that is a green smoothie.

Basically, it's a super simple way to incorporate more leafy greens into your diet. I actually love them, especially spinach, but I could always be eating more. How about you?

The first time I saw a list of ideas on the Vita-mix website I was curious. Mostly because I couldn't imagine a smoothie, which is typically a breakfast item, tasting at all decent with vegetables in the mix. But I was so wrong! Amazingly enough, their flavor is masked by the sweetness of the added fruit and actually gives it a cool, refreshing aftertaste.

Believe me on this one. I have turned many people to the green side with recipes such as this:

Going Green Smoothie
recipe adapted from Vita-mix

1/2 apple
1/2 cup (78 g) pineapple
2 cups (60 g) fresh spinach
1/2 ripe banana, peeled
1/2 orange
small sliver lemon and lime
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1 cup (240 ml) ice cubes

Next time you whip up a smoothie, throw in a large handful of one of the following:

spinach
kale
collard greens
lettuce
parsley


and start reaping the benefits of more greens in your diet!

1 comment:

Missy said...

i've been experimenting with smoothies lately! these are good suggestions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...