Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Currently Loving: FiveFingers

Chris and I have already started our Christmas list and the first items on it are FiveFingers shoes! I've always been intrigued by their appearance, but I am officially sold after first, doing some research on their benefits and then, trying them out at REI last weekend. To put it simply, they are awesome!

They have come out alongside the theory that it might be better to run barefoot, as it promotes better foot mechanics. And I found this tidbit from the FiveFingers website really fascinating:

"The benefits of running barefoot have long been supported by scientific research. And there is ample evidence that training without shoes allows you to run faster and farther with fewer injuries. No footwear comes closer to recreating this natural sensation than Vibram FiveFingers®. It allows you to land on your forefoot, directly below your center of gravity, resulting in optimum balance, increased stability, less impact and greater propulsion. Running in FiveFingers delivers sensory feedback that improves agility and equilibrium and allows immediate form correction. In addition it stimulates and strengthens muscles in the feet and lower legs."
They are a little strange at first, but just in the few minutes I walked around in them I could already feel different muscles in my feet working! Now the only trouble is deciding which pair to start with!


Anyone else own a pair? I would love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

Blythe said...

The girl who won the 15K last Sunday was wearing them! Cale is more interested in looking into minimalist shoes, but I guess I'm just scared! I've been sold on the cushions and support too long, but maybe we'll venture into at least trying some on.

Missy said...

i'd be sad to let go of my cushion-y running shoes! one the cushion starts getting smashed i always get sore legs and shin splints!

i've worn toe socks before and i thought they were really uncomfortable - how do these compare?

Missy said...

*once

Unknown said...

Blythe, that's funny because Chris has wanted them since day one, where I too have been a skeptic:)At least try them, they really did exceed my expectations!

Missy, I haven't tried the socks, but the shoes were really comfortable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...