Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Whole Enchilada

This past weekend I made, for the very first time, my Mom's enchiladas. I know, I know, you're probably thinking that enchiladas are pretty basic, but my Mom has always done them a little differently. In her family, instead of rolling up tortillas with meat and sauce, the enchilada is more in pie form. It's a super simple dish to put together and I actually like them best this way (not that I'm bias). Growing up we always had them with ground beef (now Mom uses ground turkey) but I personally prefer chicken, so I substituted the meat, but change it up according to your tastes.

Mom's Enchiladas
serves about 3 or 1 and a very hungry husband

3 whole wheat tortillas
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
enchilada sauce (we like green sauce, but red works too)
green chilis
reduced fat cheddar cheese

First, begin by placing the chicken breast in a slow cooker and cover in about 1/2 cup green enchilada sauce and let them cook on high for 2 hours. When they are cooked through, shred the chicken.

Next, take a round baking dish and begin layering the enchilada in the following order: tortilla, about half the chicken, enchilada sauce, green chilis and cheddar cheese. The amounts are really to your liking.

Then begin another layer starting with tortilla, the remaining chicken, enchilada sauce, chilis and cheese:

Finally, cover with a third tortilla, enchilada sauce, chilis and cheese. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

And the delicious finished product:

Serve like a {very messy} pie and enjoy!

2 comments:

Missy said...

YUM sounds great. looks pretty easy too. i'll have to try it! i've never made enchiladas!

Nicole said...

How funny! I made enchiladas this weekend too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...