Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Not for the Faint of Heart


Last week I mentioned I was taking a hot yoga class this weekend and I wanted to share a bit of my experience with you. If you have never done Bikram yoga before, let me assure you, it is not for the faint of heart! While I absolutely loved it, don't let me fool you-it was intense!

Upon arriving 20 minutes early with an empty stomach, I was told that my yoga for the day would be to stay in the room for the entire 90 minutes-um, yikes! I must admit that it was tough feat adjusting to the 105 degree room while getting through all 26 poses, but when all was said and done, I felt invigorated, challenged and totally exhausted! I would rank it up there with one of the single most challenging exercises I've ever done, and one I will certainly do again!

And did I mention that studies have shown you can burn up to 630 calories an hour? And keep in mind these are 90 minute classes! Just be prepared to be drenched from head to toe by the time you finish (think hot sauna for an extended period of time).

All in all, I would definitely recommend trying one out if you're looking for something fresh to throw in your workout routine. Classes can be pricey, but look for local specials and keep an eye out for groupon and livingsocial deals like the one I found. That way if you hate it, you aren't out much money and you still tried something new. Happy exercising!

image/via

4 comments:

Missy said...

i've been wanting to try one!! how do you not slip and slide all over your mat if you are that sweaty!?

Unknown said...

Everyone places a full size towel over their mat. I went with a hand towel and they laughed and loaned me a full sized one-thank goodness they are prepared for newbies like me! You should definitely try it!

Lael Meidal said...

I did bikram for a month while in NZ and really liked a lot about it - the classes always felt shorter than 90 minutes! - but never got over that hill of feeling exhausted to invigorated...even though I attended 3-4 classes a week and got past general soreness. I'd go back to it if it wasn't so expensive, but more as a weekend exercise experience because I more enjoy slow meditative yoga and running to the intensity of bikram. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kate!

Missy said...

good to know! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...