Saturday, July 2, 2011

How We Spent Friday Night

Let's just start this post off with a simple fact: In my 25 years, I have never had meatloaf...

Until about five months ago, that is. And it was only out of courtesy because Chris' Grandpa had made it for a family gathering and I really didn't want to be rude. My whole life, I've had this horrible vision of a loaf of meat (and that in itself scared me!), stuffed with unhealthy fillers to make it flavorful. It didn't sound healthy or appetizing in the least! So I went along on my merry way, avoiding meatloaf and thinking life was grand.

But five months ago, all my feelings changed. I was only going to "take a tiny bite" from my husband's plate and hope I didn't gag. But then something crazy happened. I actually liked it! I was absolutely certain my taste buds were playing a trick on me, because it was moist, flavorful and quite delicious, nothing like I imagined it would be!

So after finishing off my own portion of meatloaf, I begged Pop for his recipe. And this was his answer, "It's not hard really. It's just a little ___ and a little ___." But being a girl who likes a clear recipe when making something for the first time, we decided he should come over for dinner and show me how to make it his way.

He was even able to convince me that it's quite healthy if you don't add unnecessary junk. So apparently, when it comes to meatloaf, simplicity is key!

Just as planned, we had them over last night and made Pop's famous meatloaf. It was just as good as I remembered, and so easy to make! I am now a believer that meatloaf can be delicious and healthy. I'm learning new things every day! And my husband is happy because he will be getting one of his favorites more often!

The recipe is below, but know that these measurements are rough, because when you have been making something for several years, you no longer need to measure things out!


Pop's Moose Meatloaf
Makes 2 loaves

2 lbs. ground moose meat (you can use any lean meat, though moose was amazing, lean and so flavorful! Plus he caught it himself)
1 can tomato sauce (preferably no-salt added)
1 yellow onion
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 shredded carrots (optional)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
few tablespoons ketchup

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into 2 loafs and place in a foil-lined baking dish. Place in a 400 degree over for about 45-55 minutes, until done. Take out of the oven out about 10 minuted before done and add the ketchup to the top, place back in oven. Slice and serve. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Missy said...

YUM!

i used to hate meatloaf when i was a kid but i like it now. i've never made it before though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...