Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Art of Being Disciplined

I have had this silly little thing on my mind lately. In a few words: discipline and hard work. I must admit, these thing are not neccessarily my idea of fun and they are definitely not easy, but I do believe that without them, life just wouldn't, nay couldn't, be as enjoyable. Allow me to divulge my thought process.

It is amazing to me how everything in life that has been worth having, has come with a price. I'm not talking money, but rather good old fashioned hard work.

The main reason this is on my mind is that Sunday was the first day of my "pre-marathon" training. This is the 19 week mileage build-up before I begin my 17 week training in July. The game is on and it's time to buck up! All day I have been anticipating my four mile run. I know it might not seem like much, but it's rainy and dreary outside. You know, the perfect kind of weather to stay cuddled up inside and NOT work out:) The thing is, that's not an option if I am going to be serious about training, right? Grr! So here I am, talking myself through the fact that I have made a physical commitment to run a marathon this year and by golly, I will do what it takes!

As I am giving myself this pep talk, I am amazed at just how many of the wonderful and enjoyable things in my life are a product of choosing to be disciplined.

*Keeping my body healthy
*Growing in my walk with the Lord
*Building a strong marriage
*Maintaining long distance friendships (such a hard one)

The four things I listed are, for me, the most difficult and rewarding challenges I face each day.

If training for a marathon was easy, it wouldn't be such a desireable goal, would it? So, just as with every other thing in my life that is worth working for, I am going to push through the possible (read, likely) pain and keep my eyes on the goal. My reward will come at the end of the race when I can honestly say that I trained diligently and my body was prepared for that day.

Okay, so here's the game plan: I am going to run my 4 miles tonight...no complaints, I promise.

Kate



"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 3:14

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...