Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Homemade Granola that Satisfies the Soul

I believe a girl should have at least a handful of tried and true recipes to reference. And now, thanks to my dear friend Lael, I have a very special one to add to my collection.

Last night I attempted, with heavenly results I might add, to create the 'Blessings Granola' that Lael's Mom has used in her family for years. You see, as long as I have known Lael, she's always had a well stocked supply of what she deems, "the ultimate comfort food".


So, when I decided to attempt my own granola, why would I think to go anywhere but straight to her recipe? Lael shared this recipe in one of her very first blog posts at One Hungry Soul and I am so very glad she did!

This granola is as easy as it is delicious and satisfying!

I have posted the recipe below, but please check out Lael's original post for some great tips that really helped me with the cooking time and variations to this basic recipe.



Lael's Blessings Granola
Makes 4 cups

Combine:
¼ c. honey
¼ c. oil
2 T. frozen orange juice concentrate
2 T. brown sugar (I consider this optional-it increases the sweetness and chewiness only slightly)
¼ t. vanilla

Separately mix:
½ c. pecans
1 ½ c. rolled oats
¼ c. slivered almonds
¼ c. pumpkin seeds

Mix both together. Thinly spread onto rimmed baking sheet. Bake until toasted in 325°oven.

Remove from oven. Stir in:
¼ c. coconut flakes
¼ c. golden raisins
7 dried apricots, chopped
¼ c. dried cranberries

Let cool before transferring to storage jar or container.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...