Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Few Words on Words

You know that saying about how sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you? My opinion: biggest lie ever!

It has occured to me lately just how many opinions are out there. How great it is that we live in a country where we are able to express our opinions so freely! However, since when does having our own opinion entitle us to be cruel to others who don't share it? I have something to say: Words can hurt!!

I know that conversations can turn to heated discussions, which can lead to saying things we don't mean, but come on. Does a political conversation really have to turn into bashing people we would otherwise call a friend or family member, let alone someone we may not know or like very much?

Over the last few years, I have been learning how important it is to listen and respect people, even if I don't agree with thier politics, morals and other beliefs. Every single person should be able to give their opinion without being verbally attacked.

While mulling over this today, into my head popped a verse from James, "be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." James 1:19. Now those are words to live by!

Can we just remember to think before we say things we can't take back?

Wishing everyone a fantastic and peaceful week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...