Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Holiday Treat


Since I can remember, I have always been a huge fan of breakfast food! Cereal, poached eggs, oatmeal, pancakes and of course, french toast! Imagine my dismay when I married a man who would prefer to sleep in than eat breakfast! Not to worry, I am determined to change that! Though I did manage to find something that even he couldn't resist. While browsing through Pinch my Salt last week I found this Spiked Egg Nog French Toast! For a little background, my husband is obsessed with egg nog and we just happened to have some in the fridge. So this weekend I whipped up this recipe and couldn't be more pleased with his raving reviews!

It is super simple since you basically replace milk with the egg nog and in the interest of watching our waistline I used the "light" variety of nog. Also, I didn't have rum on hand so I substituted with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla as the recipe suggested.

Try this for the egg nog lover in your house!

Spiked Egg Nog French Toast
2 eggs
1/2 C. store bought egg nog (I used light egg nog)
2 T. spiced rum (optional)
1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 t. cinnamon plus 1/8 t. nutmeg)
6 slices bread

Whisk together eggs, egg nog, rum and spices. Heat a griddle. Dip bread in egg mixture, allowing it to soak in slightly. Butter the hot griddle and place soaked bread on the griddle. Cook on each side until golden brown. Serve with butter and powdered sugar or syrup.

Notes: The rum is optional. If you leave it out, try adding 1/2 t. vanilla in it’s place. To increase the recipe: for every three additional pieces of bread add one egg, 1/4 cup of egg nog, and 1 T. rum (or 1/2 t. vanilla).

1 comment:

Missy said...

i also love breakfast food and robbie also would rather sleep! LOL

sounds yummy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...