Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Herb and Garlic Roasted Baby Potatoes


Looking back, I would consider myself an unusual kid. Mainly when it came to food. While I liked your typical mac n' cheese and apple juice, I was never really into soda, potatoes or bbq'd chicken. In fact, those things have remained on my dislike list even as a "grown up". Except the potatoes, which I experienced a defining moment with about three years ago. You see, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, even french fries don't do much for me in the way of cravings. I had pretty much written them off as a useless, flavorless spud, only to be consumed in sparing amounts if absolutely neccessary.

But as I said, about three years ago all that changed. I was home from college on my last summer break. It was late May and I was having dinner at my parents house with several family friends. We were, of course, enjoying this meal outside on a beautiful California evening. I specifically remember this dinner being one of sheer excellence, although my Mom is an excellent cook, she had really outdone herself. The meal consisted of an herb rubbed pork tenderloin, a gorgeous salad, grilled vegetables and roasted baby red potatoes. As a curtousy, I had scooped a very small amount of potatoes on my plate, but really had no intention of eating them. Don't ask what came over me because when I had finished everything else I took a bite. And that was it. I had never tasted a potato with so much flavor and texture in my life! I remember thinking, "I can't believe I have been missing out on this!".

Ever since that night I actually crave this dish!

The texture is unlike anything else with their cripy skin, soft inside and the subtle hint of herbs and sea salt!

While browsing through my new Clean Eating cookbook I came aross this recipe and instantly decided it would be making an appearance on our menu this week. This of course is a guideline for these potatoes and can be used with any herbs you like. In my opinion, they are delicious with just potatoes, olive oil, sea salt and fresh rosemary, but feel free to play around with it. Although I must say, the addition of these sweet Italian onions is quite divine!

The greatest thing about this recipe is that it looks quite impressive and rustic on your table, without being too fancy-pants. Just imagine how beautiful they would look beside a roasted chicken at your next dinner party!

Herb and Garlic Roasted Baby Potatoes with Italian Onions
2 lb baby potatoes red or white
1 lb Cippolini onion, peeled
2 T best-quality extra virgin olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and passed through a garlic press
2 tsp coarse sea salt
4 sprigs fresh rosemary, torn into thumb-sized pieces
1 tsp dries oregano
1 tsp dried summer sage
1 T chopped fresh sage

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss with clean bare hands. Place in an even layer on the baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for 40 minutes, or until crispy and brown.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Em said...

All right, I'm planning on making these potatoes tonight. I'm not really into potatoes either, so this will be an experiment for me. But I trust you Kate! I'll let you know how it goes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...