Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Three Bean Vegetarian Chili

This recipe is for my Aunt, who enjoyed this chili with me last weekend and immediately requested the recipe!

This Cooking Light version is vegetarian, but I added some ground turkey. Either way, it is sure to be a crowd pleaser!

The spices are perfect and the roasted red peppers give the entire dish a beautiful, deep flavor!


Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili
2 red bell peppers
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups organic vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups(1/2 inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
1 (28-oz) can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

Preheat broiler.
Cut bell peppers in half length-wise. Remove and discard seeds. Place pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place pepper halves in a zip lock plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop peppers.
Heat a dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers, broth, squash and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; simmer 25 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with green onions. Serves 6.


In the interest of using ingredients I already had in my pantry, I made a few substitutions.

*Since I had no butternut squash, I replaced with a can of corn. I happen to like the crunch that corn adds to soups and stews, so I actually prefer it this way!
*I wanted to add some meat to this so I tossed in a pound of extra lean ground turkey (cooked through). I added this at the same time as the beans.

I happen to think this is one of the best chili recipes I've ever tasted! As evidenced by us finishing every single drop the next day for lunch!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I just wanted you to know how much i love reading your blog everynight before bed! It has become my routine! I lay in bed with my laptop and check out what is new in the Hansen house! I look forward to it almost everyday keep it up! And thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Samantha, for being so encouraging!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...