Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Friendly Distance?


As some of you know, I am currently training for a half marathon this April (and possibly a full in July). While I am thoroughly enjoyed the training process, I've also been chewing on something I read recently. I am following Hal Higdon's training program and on his website he mentions that a half marathon is a "friendly" distance for a runner. At first I laughed, because as much as I love fitness, running has never really been my thing (until now anyway!). But I kept asking myself, at what point does one feel like 13.1 miles is a "friendly" distance? Because let me tell you, very rarely have I looked back on a run and called it friendly...

Until recently, that is. Coming off a pretty tough and busy week (read: shorting myself on a few workouts!) , I thought my long run was going to be awful! But I was pleasantly surprised when I completed it and afterward found myself actually saying the words, "That was a friendly run!". Who knew?!

And just like that I am totally encouraged that when I complete my half marathon in a mere 7 weeks, maybe I too will be calling it a friendly distance. Let's hope!

1 comment:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Good luck, you are brave to take on the full! I ran a half last June and felt very proud of myself, it was hard work but worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...