Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekend + Waffles

Happy Monday friends! How was your weekend?

Ours was wonderful and very productive. I almost completed my list of to-do's, all except my sewing projects...:( I guess you can't do it all. However, my house is put together, my yoga class is revamped and I'm all ready for my trip to Illinois this Thursday!

But enough about that, lets get to the good stuff! Saturday morning I was up at 7am and ready to bust out our Belgian waffle maker. I decided to try a recipe I came across in Cooking Light's Complete Cookbook (a fantastic cookbook, by the way!) and was beyond pleased with the results! I think Chris and I agreed they were our best waffles yet. Light, fluffy, crispy edges and didn't at all taste "healthy" (even though they are a healthier version!), everything a good waffle should be. Definitely a recipe worth using again!

So without further ado...


Waffles with Two Berry Syrup
adapted from Cooking Light

Waffles:
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
3 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Syrup:
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flaxseed meal, flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray; preheat. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter per 4-inch waffle onto the hot waffle iron, spreading batter to edges. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until steaming stops; repeat procedure with remaining batter.

To prepare syrup, combine berries, maple syrup, and ground cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve warm over waffles.

Freeze leftover waffles individually on a cookie sheet and then transfer to a zip-top freezer bag for storage. To reheat, place frozen waffles in toaster.

1 comment:

Missy said...

yum...i love waffles!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...