Tuesday, October 13, 2009

In A Pinch

I like to believe I am a minimalist when it comes to food. Contrary to how I grew up, with a pantry always stocked beyond what we really needed for a family of three, I prefer to buy only what we need for the week. For one, it keeps the grocery bill down and gives me the ability to buy only the freshest and best quality ingredients. And secondly, it eliminates waste, which is a huge pet peeve of mine!

With that being said, I do believe in good sense and always attempt to have neccesities on hand (thanks, Mom!). For example, beans, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, pasta, oatmeal, etc. Basically, the things we always use and won't go bad.

On Sunday I went grocery shopping (my favorite chore) and bought everything we needed for the week, or so I thought. As I was pulling everything out last night to prepare the Turkey Sausage and Farro Soup I had planned, I realized I had just used the last can of diced tomatoes and forgot to put them on my "All Out Of" list. After all, why would I think to check the pantry when we always have several cans? Realizing I didn't really have time to go to the store before Chris got home, I rummaged through the pantry for a quick solution and to my relief found a box of Whole Foods brand Tomato Basil Soup I bought a few weeks ago "for one of those days". Phew! Thankfully, Tomato Basil Soup and Panini's is always a great substitute!

So the moral of the story here is that it's always a good idea to have simple go-to things like soup on hand!

Our dinner ended up being so yummy! And tonight I shall once again attempt the Turkey Sausage and Farro Soup:)

Delicious black forest ham, smoked gouda and roasted red pepper paninis!


BTW, this Tomato soup is fantastic!

1 comment:

Missy said...

I hate throwing out food too!!! I almost always only buy what I am pretty sure I will eat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...