Thursday, April 15, 2010

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken


Lately, my schedule has been jam packed. On most nights of the week I train clients, so I've made an attempt to keep our dinners simple.

In my quest to be creative and keep dinner delicious and healthy, I came upon this creation, inspired by something I saw in Clean Eating. It's perfect for afternoons when I only have a minute to take Abby outside, bust out the crock pot and head out the door. Not only does this meal only take a quick minute to assemble, but the leftovers make a delicious lunch the next day too!


Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breast (thawed if previously frozen)
1/2 cup salsa of your choice (we prefer spicy!)
1/2 can no-salt added corn
2 cups brown rice (for simplicity sake, I like to keep the pre-cooked, frozen variety from WF handy)
few slices avocado

Place chicken in slow cooker. Top with salsa (you may use more than 1/2 cup if you prefer). Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. At this point you can either cut chicken into bite size pieces, shred or leave whole. Cook rice according to package and cook corn until heated through. Combine rice, corn and chicken. Top with avocado slices and extra salsa.

You could also add black beans to the slow cooker for some extra fiber.

3 comments:

Missy said...

sounds wonderful...i <3 my slow cooker. i will def be making this!

Samantha said...

I made this on Sunday and it was delicious!! Had leftovers for lunch and they were even better if thats possible!! Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

Glad you liked it Samantha! And I agree the leftovers are equally delicious, if not better:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...